Watch The Montreal International Fireworks Competition
WHAT: The Montreal International Fireworks Competition
WHERE: La Ronde, Montreal
WHEN: Every Saturday from 12th June 2010 – 14th August 2010
The Montreal International Fireworks Competition is among the largest of such events in the world. Every year 8 teams from around the world pit their skills against each other to win the much coveted Gold Jupiter. Each country must put on a 30-minute pyromusical display to wow the judges and win the glory and honour. There is no large cash prize just the glory of winning what is also called the L’International Des Deux Loto-Quebec.
This year's fixtures have all been announced,
- Pirotecnica Soldi S.R.L. Italy Saturday 12th June
- San Tai Pyrotechnics Taiwan Saturday 19th June
- Surex Poland Saturday 26th June
- Macedo's Pirotecnia Portugal Saturday 3rd July
- Fiatlux-Ampleman Quebec Hommage to Celine Dion Saturday 10th July
- Western Enterprises USA Saturday 17th July
- Fireworks Spectaculars Canada Saturday 24th July
- Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik Sweden Saturday 31st July
- Brezac Artifices France Saturday 7th August
- Awards Ceremony La Ronde Saturday 14th August
Each display is judged on different factors by a jury of spectators using the following criteria:
Quality of display: variety of colour, style of effects
Synchronisation: how accurately and well timed the music is with the pyrotechnics
Pyromusical concept: The originality and artistry of the display, musical choice and how it is used with the fireworks
Overall: The general feeling of the show as a whole.
The best views will be from La Ronde where the judging takes place, however, another good vantage point is from the foot of the Jacques Cartier Bridge on the Montréal side of the St. Laurent River.