ST ANDREWS DAY ‘BIG HOOLIE’ CELEBRATIONS – FEATURING FIREWORKS
WHAT: ST ANDREWS DAY ‘BIG HOOLIE’ CELEBRATIONS
WHY: NATIONAL SAINT’S DAY CELEBRATION
WHERE: MARKET STREET, ST ANDREWS, FIFE, SCOTLAND
WHEN: SATURDAY 30TH NOVEMBER 2019
The people of Scotland are fiercely patriotic, as evidenced by their National Day celebrations which are held across the Country. St Andrew was considered as Jesus’s first disciple and is not just the Patron Saint of Scotland – he is the Patron saint of Greece, Russia, Amalfi (Italy) and Barbados. St Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross as he didn’t believe he was worthy of being crucified in the same way as Jesus.
The event is packed with activities which last throughout the day including:
- Traditional Scottish dance
- Pin the kilt to the haggis (only in Scotland 😊)
- Traditional music – piped bands, drums, bagpipes
- Local talented musicians
- Face painting (from previous pictures, I would like to highlight that the majority of kids look like extra’s from Braveheart)
- Food and drink concessions including wood fired pizza, local steak strips with chips and deep-fried shortbread (why not indeed!)
- Street ceilidh
- Night market
- Fun fair, rides and attractions
- A FANTASTIC FIREWORK FINALE
For the most part, the day is devoted to the culture of Scotland, social causes and of course the celebration of the Patron Saint of Scotland.
If you are visiting Scotland at the end of November, put this in your diary as there will be something happening in every major City and Town.
Leave a comment