Skip to content

Planning Ahead For The Queens Diamond Jubilee With Epic Fireworks

Greenwich fireworks on the River Thames celebrate 2012 Royal Borough status

So you’re planning a street party to celebrate the Queens 60th year as our reigning monarch? And why not, any excuse to have a good knees up, get to know your neighbours a little better and let off a few fireworks to celebrate is always good.

Queen Elizabeth II came to the throne on 6thFebruary 1952 with her coronation taking place on 2nd June 1953.

Only one other royal has accomplished this major feat, of course, this was, Queen Victoria (20th June 1837 until her death on 22nd January 1901).

The celebrations will centre around an extended weekend this year on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of June.

Adding an extra (for you lucky people who won’t be at work) Bank Holiday this year on Tuesday the 5th of June, with the May bank holiday being pushed forward to Monday the 4th.

Looking at long range weather forecasts and historical data we expect it to be a scorching weekend.

We at Epic, of course, will be open as usual, as we expect demand for fireworks to be very high. Once again, plan ahead and place your order now to avoid disappointment.

If you want to have a small street party, you will need to tell your local council’s events or community’s team.

They will normally need to know about your event 4 to 12 weeks ahead of time.

Expect to be asked some questions about your plans, or they may just send you a simple application form, or advise you where you can download one.

The council’s application form usually asks for information like:

  • The date and time of the event.
  • How many will be attending.
  • Whether or not you want to close a road or section of road - and its name.
  • Whether the road is part of a bus route or used by through traffic.
  • A list of any properties or businesses affected.

Your council will check that the views of everyone affected have been taken into account before getting back to you.

Also, bear in mind that your local emergency services may need to get through in the event of an incident so it may be worth putting a contingency plan together to ensure your party goes ahead as planned.

If you don't want to close a road you can organise a 'street meet' instead. This is a gathering in a park, driveway or cul-de-sac. You can speak to your local council about your plans for a street meet.

The best websites we found with really useful information are ( or both have information on how to organise both a street meet or street party.

Street Meets are easier to arrange as they involve less disruption to the surrounding area and are generally approved quicker, so it may be worth considering which would suit your needs best.

Although some councils may ask if you will be taking insurance cover for your event, it varies from one area to another, we found it rarely required, but better to ask first as it could add around £50 to your costs. Also be aware you will not normally be able to have fireworks on a public road, so think about your surroundings, any private land with the suitable safety distances would be perfect.

You can, of course, light fireworks on any day of the year between 7am and 11pm (with extensions until midnight on other specific dates (see our website for more details), So no difficulties there.

Whatever and however you wish to celebrate we will be here with help and advice, and top quality fireworks at the best prices.


Previous article Chester-le-Street Cricket Club's Firework Event Will Be Bigger & Better Than Ever

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields