L'International des Feux Loto-Québec 2014
The event which is locally referred to as L'International des Feux Loto-Québec was established in 1985 and is billed as one of Montreal’s top events for 2014. The event will take place from June to August of 2014 and is completely free if you have access to a balcony or rooftop viewing area.
The displays must be synchronized to music and the teams will compete over a 6-week period on different nights, unlike in previous years where it has been running for almost 10 weeks with bi-weekly shows on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s.
Although the displays can be seen readily in the surrounding area, if you do wish to see this event in all its glory, it is being held in La Ronde, the area’s premier theme park. The cost of a full day pass including access to the pyro show is around $43 -$63 (between £23 and £34 sterling) or if you just would like to see the fireworks, again you can have full park access after hours for just $20 (just over £10) for the evening.
The fireworks are scheduled to take place around 10:00pm and the firing order and themes are as follows:
• Saturday 28th June – Opening ceremony with a pyro-musical display from the fabulous Weco Feurerwerk. The opening theme is ‘Dreamcatcher’ which will depict images dreamed about and the conversation between a father and son before retiring for the night.
• Saturday 5th July - First competitors are Italy represented by the very capable Pirotecnica Morsani. The company is one of the original firework masters from Italy established in 1880 by Reginald Morsani and they continue to work all over the world. Their theme is ‘Cosmology – From Darkness to the Big Bang’ taking the audience on a pyromusical journey from the birth of the planets to life on earth.
• Saturday 12th July - second competitors, Pirotecnia Caballer are representing Spain. Again established in 1880 by Vincente Caballer Calatayud and after 130 years in the business they know a thing or two about displays. Still run by the family now in their fourth generation, the President is the grandson of Vincente and they continue to impress the world with the quality and performance of the pieces that they manufacture. Their theme is ‘Once Upon a Time’ and promises to be captivating.
• Wednesday 16th July - Third up are the local team for Canada, represented by Royal Pyrotechnie and Fireworks Spectacular. Their theme is ‘Kutuan – Legends of Fire’ helping to use our imagination to take us on exciting adventures. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.
• Saturday 19th July - Fourth to compete are the fabulous team from Melrose Pyrotechnics. Established in the early 1900’s by Anthony Guarino an immigrant from Italy and it remains within the family to this day. Their theme is ‘Fright Night’ and will take spectators on a spooky journey on a pre Halloween jaunt. They have even made a short video advertisement: https://vimeo.com/96123084
• Wednesday 23rd July - Fifth team to show their firepower are team France represented by the inimitable Brezac Artifices. Brezac Artifices is a family company that was founded by Edmond Brezac in 1964 specializing in creating and staging some of the worlds finest display fireworks. Their theme is ‘Freedom – Tribute to Nelson Mandela and his journey from childhood in Transkei all the way up to his imprisonment and eventual release from the jail on Robben Island.
• Saturday 26th July – The final competing team represent Australia. Foti Fireworks began in the late 1700’s in Sicily and in 1952 the family immigrated to Australia and so the story continues to this day they are the foremost firework specialists in the country. Their theme ‘ Strictly Pyro – The World of Baz Luhrmann bringing to life in fireworks the dance moves in Strictly Ballroom, Romeo and Juliet and the Moulin Rouge as well as some brilliant musical pieces from his other films.
• Saturday 2nd August - And onto the FINALE. Offered up for your pleasure is the closing display from Panzera SAS. The company, again from a long line of Italian firework manufacturers, started in 1929 and the company continues to grow thanks to the absolutely beautifully crafted effects within their pyro. The theme for the finale is a ‘Tribute to Pink Floyd’ and will include some of their better known tracks as well as the more ‘off the wall’ psychedelic musical offerings. They are not competing but we can guarantee that you will see some of the more unusual pyro of the competition since they are masters of creativity and style.
Whether you are supporting your local national team or just have a love of fireworks, get yourself along to see some of the world’s greatest and longest established firework companies in the World battling it out for supremacy.
We will bring you images once they are available.