Fireworks for London will celebrate a MAGICAL YEAR for the Capital
WHAT: New Years Eve Fireworks
WHEN: Monday 31st December 2012 - 23:45
BEST VIEWS: Waterloo Bridge, Hungerford Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Victoria Embankment.
This year has been something special for all the people of the UK and of course, it is equally important to be sure to end it in the same way.
The New Years Eve fireworks this year are set to be nothing short of a DAZZLING SPECTACULAR as we wave goodbye to a magnificent year for the UK. The skies over London will be blazing with light and colour again this New Year’s eve as the focus of the World will once again be on London and the majority of the fireworks display will be fired from the London Eye.
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said in a recent statement ‘Our New Year Event will cap off a triumphant year for London, as we welcomed the world to share our magnificent celebrations for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the glorious success of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. London was at its best from thrilling sporting action to the breathtaking cultural celebrations. It has been an unforgettable year and I am immensely proud of the contributions made by our ambassadors to that success. As we go into 2013 with a spectacular fireworks display I hope we can build on that energy and enthusiasm to make ours the best big City in the World’.
The advice is clear to revellers – PLAN AHEAD. There will be massive crowds descending on London for the event and you need to be sure to get into your viewing spot before 9pm as most areas will be full beforehand. I would also add that as each area fills up, access will be denied and most pubs and clubs in the vicinity will be ticketed so make sure you book in advance if you do plan to go along to eat or drink in the capital. You should also remember that there will be a very long wait until the bells of Big Ben strike 12 so bear in mind that it is predicted that temperatures will be very low and there is the possibility of rain and snow so wrap up warm.
Where to watch the fireworks in LONDON – New Years
In regards to getting to this momentous event, public transport is available in the most part but again, we would recommend that you check in advance. Most trams, selected trains and buses will run all through the night but some areas, access is restricted so some bus routes will not be operating at all. The best news is that there will be FREE London travel available as sponsored by Diageo GB on the tube, train, bus and DLR (docklands light railway). Further information can be found here.
If you are travelling in London between 24th December and 1st January your journey may be affected. We would recommend that you check live traffic news on the local radio station or via the Transport For London website www.tfl.gov.uk and click on getting around or live travel news for more details before your journey. If you are travelling to the capital via the rail network, visit the National Rails Christmas and New Year Travel summary. Some cycle hire docking stations will not operate – please check first and finally, when using Taxi’s, please keep safe and only use licensed black cabs as unlicensed cabs are illegal and potentially dangerous.
Of course, London is not just about New Year as many will be celebrating Christmas in UK’s capital beforehand and there is any number of things to do including the following:
- Trafalgar Square Carols – every night between 5:00pm and 9:00pm every night until 23 December.
- Mayors Carol Service – 17th December 2012 – 6:30pm st Southwark Cathedral. The Carol Concert will include guest choirs, carols with the congregation and a variety of biblical and secular readings and poetry. This is an event which is for all faiths to join together as a community and celebrate along with Christians from across the World.
- New Years Day Parade – 1st January 2012 in the City Centre and this will include a lively and colourful parade incorporating participants from across the World
There are of course a number of Christmas Markets for you to enjoy around the City and here are some of the biggest and best:
- Real Food Christmas Market – Southbank Centre Square - 80 traditionally decorated wooden chalets selling a wide range of unique and bespoke hand-crafted gifts for unusual presents and traditional food and drinks
- Winter Wonderland – Hyde Park – Ice-skating, big top shows and a HUGE Christmas Market
- London Caribbean Xmas Fayre - Kensington Town Hall – enjoy the laughter and warmth of the Caribbean, the steel drums will bring in the spirit of Christmas. There will be handcrafted jewellery, gift baskets, delicious preserves, wines, candles and toiletries made and sourced from across the UK
- More London Christmas Market – The Scoop - gift stalls, craftworks, indulgent treats, hot food stalls and designers with 20 stalls selling hand-made designer gifts
- Brent Cross Winter Wonderland - Brent Cross – including rides, attractions, pantomime, ferris wheels and a carousel
- The Night Market – Camden – fashion, vintage pieces, accessories, jewellery, arts and crafts and global street stalls
Wherever you are in the World, keep safe and warm, enjoy the fireworks and have a great Christmas and New Year from all at Epic Fireworks.