CAPTURING GREAT PHOTOS ON BONFIRE NIGHT
Although you may see many people using their big fancy cameras to capture fireworks this year, did you know it is easy to take stunning photos of fireworks on your phone, if you know the right settings? Keep reading for our best tips on how to capture fireworks straight from your smart phone!
1. Steady Your Hand or Use a Tripod: - Keep your phone as steady as possible to avoid blurry images. If you have a tripod or a stable surface, use it to eliminate camera shake.
2. Turn Off the Flash - Flash is not suitable for capturing fireworks. It can overexpose your photos and wash out the colours. Keep your flash off.
3. Enable Grid Lines - Most smartphone cameras have grid lines you can enable in the settings. Use these to help with composition, ensuring your shots are level and well-balanced.
4. Lock Focus and Exposure - Tap and hold on the screen where you want to focus, and a yellow box or similar indicator should appear. This also locks the exposure, which is crucial for consistent shots.
5. Use the Right App - Consider using a dedicated camera app if your smartphone allows it. Some third-party apps provide more control over settings like ISO and shutter speed.
6. Shoot in Landscape Orientation - Turn your phone horizontally for a wider field of view. This is especially important if you want to capture more of the fireworks display or the surrounding environment.
7. Reduce ISO (If Possible) - Some smartphones allow manual control of ISO. Lower ISO values (e.g., ISO 100 or 200) will help reduce noise in your photos.
8. Keep HDR Off - High Dynamic Range (HDR) can create ghosting in fireworks shots since it combines multiple exposures. Keep it off for fireworks photography.
9. Avoid Zoom - Digital zoom can lead to loss of quality. Instead, get closer to the action if you can or crop the photo afterward.
10. Use Burst Mode - If your phone has a burst mode, use it to capture a series of shots in quick succession. This increases your chances of getting that perfect fireworks burst.
11. Edit Afterwards - Don't be afraid to use photo editing apps to enhance your shots. Adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation to make your photos pop.
12. Patience is Key - Be patient and take multiple shots. Fireworks are unpredictable, so the more photos you take, the better your chances of getting a stunning shot.
13. Turn Off Live Photos or Similar Features - Features like Live Photos on iPhones can affect the timing of your shots. Disable them for smoother fireworks photography.
14. Experiment with Manual Modes - Some newer smartphones offer manual camera modes that allow you to adjust settings like ISO and shutter speed. Explore these options if available.
Remember that practice makes perfect, so don't be discouraged if your initial shots aren't as impressive as you'd like. With these smartphone photography tips, you'll be well-prepared to capture the beauty of Bonfire Night with your mobile device.