BONFIRE NIGHT DELIGHTS PERFECT FOR CHILDREN
Bonfire night is fast approaching and for most of us we will be holding our own COVID safe family affair at home. As well as fireworks for the evening no doubt that the family will need feeding and watering on the evening. We thought that we would give you some different ideas for this bonfire night other than the traditional fayre of pie and peas, chilli, hotdogs, sticky parkin, and bonfire toffee. Along with this we have made them child-friendly so all the family can get involved.
- 1 pack of ready to roll puff pastry
- Hotdogs (either standard or jumbo)
- Block of cheese (any variety)
- Skewers (soaked in water)
- Ribbon (for decoration)
- Put your skewers in water to soak for 10 minutes to prevent the sticks from burning in the oven.
- Skewer the hotdog from top to bottom making sure the skewer goes all the way through the middle.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and cut into strips using a pizza cutter. Take a strip of the pastry and run the top of the skewer through one end of the strip.
- Carefully wrap the strip around the hotdog, then when at the end, wrap the bottom of the dough around the stick.
- Repeat until you have your desired amount of rocket dogs prepared.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Gas Mark 5 and place in the preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the rocket dogs are in the oven, slice the cheese into small triangles one for each of the rocket dogs.
- When the rocket dogs are baked, remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and then top the rocket dog with the cheese triangle. For added effects decorate with ribbons on the bottom.
CATHERINE WHEEL/ RAINBOW PIZZA
- Premade pizza bases / pizza dough
- Mixture of bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
- Red onions
- Tomato puree / pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese (227 grams)
- Remove the pizza bases or pizza dough from the fridge approximately 10-15 minutes before use.
- Chop the peppers and onions into small squares, then sauté each individual vegetable in 1 tablespoon of oil on a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Cook the pizza dough or bases as per the cooking instructions if needed then add the tomato puree or pizza sauce onto the base with the mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange all the veggies around the edges to create your rainbow or spinning Catherine wheel pattern.
- Return the pizza to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Cut up and enjoy!
- Bread (white, granary, brown) personal preference
- Meat (ham, chorizo, salami) personal preference
- Vegetables or fruit – Peppers, cucumber, carrots, pineapple, apple
- Skewers (plastic stars)
- Cake plunger, circle cutter
- If using a circle cutter lay out the bread, cheese and meat and cut out as many circles as you can from each item. Thread onto the skewer alternating between bread and fillings until the skewer is full.
- If using the cake plunger this is slightly easier, cut your first circle from the bread leaving it in the plunger then the meat and cheese (whichever filling you prefer) so that it sits on top still keeping them inside the plunger. Repeat the process alternating until the plunger is full.
- Take one of the skewers and insert into the middle of the plunger all the way through to the bottom, making sure that the skewer is pushed all the way through.
- Cut a piece of the vegetables or fruit in a triangle shape to top off the rocket sandwich
BREADSTICK & PRETZEL STICK EDIBLE SPARKLERS
- 24 Breadsticks or pretzel sticks whatever you prefer
- 100g White or milk chocolate
- Sprinkles (hundreds and thousands, stars, glitter)
- Greaseproof paper / baking paper
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof or baking paper
- Break up the chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second burst, stirring in-between to make sure melts evenly. Be careful not to overheat or burn the chocolate, heat until melted and smooth.
- Dip the end of each stick onto the chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl, then lay onto the lined baking tray.
- Working quickly pour over your choice of sprinkles.
- Repeat until you have the desired amount of sticks covered.
- Place the tray in the fridge to chill until the chocolate is set – around 10 – 15 minutes.
CHOCOLATE TOFFEE APPLE SLICES
- 3 medium apples
- Lollipop sticks
- Chocolate (white, dark or milk)
- Toppings caramel/ toffee Sauce
- Cut the apples lengthways into 3 large slices, cut a small slice in the end pieces so that they lie flat and then insert the lollipop stick into each apple slice.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan pf boiling water or in the microwave and pour into a deep small bowl.
- Dip each of the slices into the melted chocolate and fully coat each slice. Place on a plate and repeat if necessary, for a thicker coat until all the slices are coated.
- Spread a small layer of toffee or caramel onto the top of each slice and decorate with your chosen sprinkles.
- Serve straight away or store in the fridge. However, these are best eaten the same day that you make them.
- 8 Marshmallows
- 10g plain milk chocolate
- Sugar sprinkles
- Bamboo skewers
Really easy to make melt the chocolate in the microwave, pop the marshmallows onto the skewers, dip the top into the chocolate, then decorate with the sprinkles, leave in a glass to set, job done.
Following the advice from the government, we all now know that any celebration in 2020 will be different. Take some time out for the family and make sure that everyone stays safe this bonfire night.