BARNSLEY BRIGHT NIGHTS COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS
WHAT: BARNSLEY BRIGHT NIGHTS COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS 2019
WHY: BARNSLEY BRIGHT NIGHTS
WHERE: ALL AROUND BARNSLEY TOWN CENTRE
WHEN: THURSDAY 28th TO SATURDAY 30TH NOVEMBER 2019
COST: FREE EVENT
COST: FREE - SEE WEBSITE FOR MORE DETAILS
Barnsley is officially on the countdown to Christmas from the 28th November, announcing a four-day Christmas extravaganza, with light installations and shows all around the Town centre, transforming the town into a beautiful and captivating Winter Wonderland.
The illuminated parade will begin at 6pm, lead by the Ski Light Band and a sea of lanterns that have been handmade in the community. The route weaves its way from the Library @ the Lightbox through the Victorian Arcade. It will end outside the iconic town hall where the big button will be pressed and it will be brought to life with a synchronised glittering display of lights and Christmas music before the skies above will be lit up with the dazzling fireworks display.
Along the way there are plenty other activities to explore and discover with something for all the family to enjoy. If you can catch a glimpse of the colourful Santa’s Airforce characters and enjoy performances from the mysterious Ghost Caribou before wondering around town to explore the bright lights trail at various venues dotted around.
Highlights of other events include:
- The famous “night before Christmas” poem brought to life as a giant talking storybook with projections and animations at St Mary’s church. Shows Thursday 28th to Saturday 30th November 5pm-8:30pm.
- Barnsley College, Old Mill Lane Campus – have the touring artwork of Gaia a replica of the planet using Nasa imagery of the Earth’s surface. This is an opportunity for the space lover amongst you to see the Earth as it may look from space in 2 dimensions. Thursday 28th – 6:15 – 8:30pm / Friday 29 to Saturday 30th November 5:00pm – 8:30pm.
- Churchfield Peace gardens – as the cold dark night draws in, get warm in the glow of the garden of fire and light. Thursday 28th to Saturday 30the November 5:00pm – 8:30pm.
- Barnsley Chronicle Offices – the chronicle of dance uses stories from the town with individual performances and interaction with the audience, set in the backdrop of the chronicle. Thursday 28th to Saturday 30th November 5:00pm – 8:30pm.
- Cooper Gallery, AWEKIDS the garden of light – this is a brand-new addition this year as a digital gallery is installed in the garden of the cooper gallery. Take yourself on a journey of light, music and sound projection and a variety of digital content. Thursday 28th to Saturday 30th November 5-8pm.
- Mandela Gardens, Arborealis ‘tree of light’ – is the creative installation by artist James Brunt, made using natural materials with everyday objects, creating a bespoke light experience just for the event. Thursday 28th to Saturday 30th November 5- 8:30pm.
To keep everyone fed and watered throughout the evenings you can meet and eat at the Market Kitchen and experience the wide variety of food and drink options available from delicious desserts and scrumptious Indian delights to wood-fired pizza and so much more.
To end the event, and for the finale of the bright lights, there will be the 2nd Christmas lighting in the town at the Alhambra Shopping Centre. From 9am to 4pm, join in the celebration of the family fun day including festive activities, carol singers, face painting and there will be lots of bargains to be had in the local stores so you can bag a few more Christmas pressies for loved ones.
Local radio station Dearne FM will take to the stage, and even the big man himself will be waiting in his grotto for your Christmas lists.
Grab the family and visit the town to get everyone in the spirit for Christmas 2019, and if you need any fireworks for Christmas and New Year's Eve then come along and see us :)