Fireworks accident in NZ
A public fireworks display at the Whakatane Yacht Club went haywire in Whakatane on Saturday night, setting off fires in nearby scrub.
Thousands of spectators watched as the display started two fires, each covering an area of about 100 metres.
Witness Cliff Stockwell told TVNZ 7 News that when the display started some of the early fireworks appeared to be almost horizontal rather than vertical and seemed to be firing off quite low.
He says they spread out like a Christmas-tree effect and within a few minutes started a few fires close to where the fireworks were being let off. Stockwell says others caused a fire on an island further down the river.
Two people went to the hospital with minor injuries, and there were reports of a car catching fire.