The capital’s Chinese New Year celebrations are set to transform central London on Sunday 21 February 2010.
Visitors to Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square and London Chinatown will be able to welcome in the Year of the Tiger in spectacular style – with Chinese arts and entertainment from international and home-grown artists, and food, firecrackers and fireworks.
In Trafalgar Square, two groups from China will perform world-class dance, music and acrobatics after an official opening ceremony. There will also be firecrackers, Chinese dragons, lions and Chinese acrobatics.
Meanwhile, in a specially decorated Chinatown there will be cultural stalls, food and lion dance displays. Shaftesbury Avenue will become ‘Hong Kong in London Chinatown’ with a stage featuring performances by local Chinese artists.
A colourful fireworks display in Leicester Square will close the celebrations. Running orders (subject to change)
Trafalgar Square Stage
- 11:15 Firecrackers
- 12:00 Opening ceremony begins with speeches
- 12:30 Doting Dragon’s Eyes
- 12:45 Dragon Dance
- 12:55 Lion Dance performance
- 13:10 Dance, music, acrobatics, martial arts performances by visiting Chinese artists
- 18:00 Ends
- 12:00-18:00 Lion dances around Chinatown and Shaftesbury Avenue
- 12:00-18:00 haftesbury Avenue Stage – Hong Kong In London Chinatown
- 12:00-16:00 Performances by local Chinese artists
- 17:55 Fireworks and firecrackers
- 12:00-17:00 Stalls with a variety of wares