WHAT: GLOBALFEST 2019
WHY: FIREWORKS FESTIVAL
WHERE: ELLISTON PARK, CALGARY
WHEN: THURSDAY 15THE AUGUST 6PM TO SATURDAY 24TH AUGUST 11PM
COST: STANDARD TICKET $21 (£13) (NIGHT SPECIFIC)
The festival was implemented in 1994 when the Calgary Fireworks Festival Society was looking for a safe firework launching site. After some time, they discovered Elliston Park and its lake which is the second largest lake in Calgary. After joining forces with the International Avenue Arts & Culture Centre plans were put forward for a joint festival in 2003. This is when the festival was born and audiences of almost 100,000 were entertained.
Today the festival is known for showcasing Calgary’s cultural diversity and artistic excellence with many competitors from all over the world invited to take part in this explosive event.
Growing year on year Globalfest now consists of several components
- One world festival – up to 24 cultural pavilions including ethnic food stalls to experience cuisines from Caribbean, Indonesia, Vietnam, and India to name a few. In the evening there is a night market and also live music to entertain you before the fireworks.
- International fireworks festival – 6 fantastic firework displays from up to 5 international teams.
To make the fireworks festival more unique than at any other festival the adjudicators set out the following criteria:
- Quality of the display,
- The originality of the artistic concept: the choice of music and staging
- Brilliance and richness of the colours used,
- 25% of the music used is native to the presenting country,
- Synchronization: the precision of the marriage between music, sound effects, and fireworks,
- Teams use of a compulsory piece: 2019 piece is Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- The scope of the work,
With these rules in place, it ensures that every night is like a world premier never to be repeated. To add to this, you have the advantage of 2 shows for the price of one as the lake gives a perfect reflection of the action happening in the skies above.
Schedule of teams
Thursday 15th August – USA – Pyro Spectaculars by Souza
Saturday 17th August – Spain – Pirotechnia Zaragozana
Tuesday 20th August – China – Liuyang Jintan Fireworks
Thursday 22nd August – Canada – Archangel Fireworks Inc.
Saturday 24th August – Grand Finale – Sirius Fireworks (Montreal, Quebec)
The gates to gain entry will be open from 6pm and no other entry will be gained after 9:15pm so ensure that you arrive early to take in the smells, tastes, sights, and sounds that the festival has to offer before the fireworks begin
Check out the winning show from last year from the fantastic firers from Spain’s Zaragozana Pirotechnia: