Everybody loves a great 4th July fireworks show, but we have compiled some useful tips to ensure that your fourth July fireworks show is as safe as possible:
1. Keep fireworks in a closed box and out of reach of children.
2. Never buy illegal fireworks, always buy fireworks from a reputable retailer.
3. Never try to make your own fireworks!
4. Never handle fireworks if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
5. Follow the instructions on each firework carefully, use a torch if required, but never use a naked flame such as a lighter!
6. Light only one firework at a time.
7. Light the fireworks at arm’s length using a portfire/taper and stand well back.
8. Never go back to a lit firework, even if the firework fails to go off.
9. Don’t hold lit fireworks in your hand.
10. Never put fireworks in your pocket, as the friction could cause the fireworks to set off.
11. Never throw fireworks.
12. Always point rockets away from spectators.
13. Point fireworks away from homes, trees and any other easily flammable materials.
14. Wear safety goggles when lighting fireworks.
15. If possible wear a high visibility jacket and a hard hat.
16. Light only one sparkler at a time and please handle sparklers carefully as temperatures can reach up to 2,000ºC.
17. Children must be supervised by an adult when handling sparklers and please ensure children wear gloves when using sparklers.
18. Dispose of sparklers in a bucket of water.
19. Always keep a first aid kit to hand in case of any injuries.
20. Animals can get very distressed when fireworks go off. Please keep animals indoors for their own protection.