WHAT: YOKOHAMA SPARKLING TWILIGHT
WHY: FIREWORKS FESTIVAL
WHEN: SATURDAY 14TH JULY TO SUNDAY 15TH JULY 2019 FROM 11:30AM TO 8:30PM
WHERE: YAMASHITA PARK, KANNAI, YOKOHAMA
COST: FREE ADMISSION
Spring in Japan has hanami or flower viewing, but the summertime is all about the Hanabi (fireworks or fire flowers), and this is the same for the sparkling twilight festival. It may not have the same funds as the likes of Tokyo and other big cities to spend on the displays, but this doesn’t mean that it will be less impressive.
With a fantastic finale of music and fireworks, this is another festival for the pyro lovers out there. With a variety of colours, effects, animals, cartoon characters the display will knock your socks off. Another advantage of the shoreline area display is that you don’t have the high-rise buildings so there is plenty of sky as a canvas cover. Why not set up a picnic blanket and enjoy the incredible skylines created.
Along with the fireworks display, there are also plenty of special activities in-between for everyone to enjoy. Performances, demonstrations and the thing not to miss is the twilight parade. Make a full day of it as even the food is sorted with a pop-up seaside restaurant which features food from some of Yokohama’s oldest and best restaurants in Yamashita park.
The festival is still classed as a new summertime festival as it only began three years ago. Since the first one, it has grown year upon year and now is not only loved by the locals but has visitors from all over the world attend, now making it one of the most impressive displays around.
See below a snapshot of what is on offer over the two days.
- Sparkling fireworks – 3000 fireworks light up the summer sky – both days 7:30pm to 8pm
- Ship parade – a parade of ships offshore of Yamashita park – 2pm to 3:30pm
- Marine rescue demonstration – demonstration by Yokohama guard and Yokohama city fire department – both days 1pm to 1:40pm
- Twilight jewellery boat – ships decorated with lights illuminating the port of Yokohama – both days 6:50pm to 7:30pm, 8pm to 8:15pm.
- Sparkling parade – a parade of the mikoshi portable shrines from every district – Sunday 2pm to 4pm
- Sparkling Stage Live – various concerts and live performances will be held at Yamashita park – both days 3pm to 7pm.
- Seaside restaurant and bar – food and drink stalls from Yokohama’s oldest and best restaurants – both 11:30pm to 8:30pm