Posts Tagged ‘fathers day’
Are you getting some fireworks for Fathers Day for Sunday 16th June 2013 ?
Well here at Epic head quarters the phones have been hot off the hook taking orders for upcoming Fathers Day.
But from where does Fathers day originate? Well, Fathers Day was created in America in the early part of the twentieth century, and over the years has been adopted by countries all over the world including the UK.
So what will you be buying for your special Father?
The traditional present for a Father on Fathers Day is a watch or a tie, but we’re sure he’s got plenty of these already!
The most popular item that people are going for at epic hq is the award-winning screaming Screaming Spiders – 60 seconds of awesomeness
What do you get the man who has everything? – Fireworks of course
It must be something to do with the explosive nature but fireworks are definitely boys toys. The number of grown men who get positively giddy at the thought of setting off a firework is staggering.
In a piece in Men’s Health Magazine and Front Magazine, they did a ‘test’ on a number of fireworks from different manufacturers and EPIC blew the rest away.
So, if you are planning a gathering, perhaps an afternoon tea or barbecue to let your dad know just how special he is, come over to see us and we’ll find something to suit your father.
Some facts about Fathers Day:
• Mothers day is 40 weeks after Fathers Day – the gestation period of a pregnancy.
• Fathers day is accredited to Sonora Smart Dodd who invented her own version of this celebration in recognition of her dad William Jackson Smart, a single father who raised six children – this became law in 1972 when Richard Nixon eventually agreed to sign it into law to become a National Holiday in the USA.
• Held on the third Sunday in June it is to honour the fathers and father figures including step-fathers and grand-fathers.
• The date is thought to have pagan beginnings as it also co-incides with the Summer Solstice.
• Unlike mothers day which is thought to relate to the Catholic Church and in particular Mary, Mother of Christ, Fathers day doesn’t have such support but the church do still acknowledge the festival in recognition of the love, respect and support given by fathers all over the World in support of their family.
Fireworks are different from the usual aftershave or toffees which we all fall back on and you are able to spend as much or as little as you would like to in our store in Tankersley, South Yorkshire.
Open 7-days a week all year round (with the exception of Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years day) we are always here to help you.
Come along, tell us what effect you would like to achieve and we will do our best to meet your requirements.
All Dads love fireworks.
Although most countries celebrate on the 3rd Sunday in June, it ranges across the world from 23rd Feb in Russia to 26th December in Bulgaria.
After listening to a church sermon about the newly recognised Mother’s Day in 1909 Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, USA, felt that Fathers should also be recognised.
And with the help of Reverend Dr. Conrad Bluhm, her local minister, and the Y.M.C.A, the first Father’s Day was inaugurated on 19th June 1910.
However you decide to honor your Dad – have fun and remember we are open all year round – 7 days a week.